The Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society began operating the Guest House Museum in August 1999. To celebrate their first ten years at the museum, they are putting on a number of special events during August.
On August 7, First Friday, 5:30 pm • Open House at the Museum. All are welcome.
The main celebration is Saturday, August 8, from 10 am – 3 pm at the Guest House Museum.
- 10-11 David Foucheaux will review the history of the Guest House over the years from 1857 to the present.
- 11-12 Michael Stenberg will tell the story of the California Western Railroad from a line hauling logs to a recreational route, The Skunk.
- 12 to 1:30 Lunch Break
- 1:30 pm Presentation of the Alder Thurman Historical Contribution Award. An award to some one who had made a contribution to local history. We expect to make this an annual presentation.
- 2 pm An entertaining presentation by Katie Tahja and Marty Simpson of the racy side of life early in the last century. They come in the persona of Madame Kate and J. D. Johnson, a businessman in Mendocino, to tell the tale.
They will round out the month with some walks in historic areas of Fort Bragg:
- August 16, Sunday, 11 am, Cemetery Walk, Meet at Rose Memorial Park. Cemetery Walks led by David Foucheaux.
- August 22, Saturday, 11 am, Historic Downtown Walk, Meet at the Museum. Walk led by Betty Carr.
- August 30, Sunday, 11 am, Cemetery Walk. Meet at Rose Memorial Park.
The Guest House Museum is located at 343 North Main Street in Fort Bragg, CA, right next to the Skunk Train Depot.