45200 Little Lake Road, Mendocino, 707-973-5818.
The Mendocino Art Center (MAC) has served as a retreat for artists and students since 1959. It started as one man’s dream, and it blossomed into a world-renowned center for visual and performing arts.
During the early 50’s, the stark beauty of the region attracted artists like Bill and Jennie Zacha. When the Zacha’s arrived here, Mendocino was a failing mill town. In 1957, Bill Zacha began pursuing his dream of establishing an art center. When the Preston house (used as the mansion in East of Eden) burned down, he purchased the property. Within two years, Bill had converted the carriage house and outbuildings for use. The Art Center became a new focal point for the community, and it played a crucial role in the revitalization of the nearly abandoned town.
Today the Art Center campus includes art galleries, a gift shop, artist workshops, a performing arts theater and apartments that house artists in residence, students and instructors. Classes are offered in ceramics, fine art, jewelry, fiber arts, and sculpture.
Native plants are interspersed throughout the Zacha Sculpture Garden, which features a beautiful mosaic walkway.